What are the advantages of Applying Gypsum in managing and Improving alkali soils ( sodic soils)?
- Gypsum is readily available.
- Its price is reasonable compared to other soil amendments.
- It has average solubility and hence does not cause soil salinity.
- Its sulphate ions can be used by plants as a nutrient.
- Presence of gypsum in soil and replacement of sodium by calcium on soil particles improve soil structure.
What is the Best Way to Provide Calcium Ions in Soil?
The best way to do this is to apply agricultural gypsum to soil. Moreover, the calcium obtained when gypsum dissolves in soil water binds to soil organic matter and prevents its rapid oxidation. Therefore, applying gypsum to soil provides the calcium needed in the soil solution and also prevents rapid oxidation of soil organic matter thereby increasing its content in soil.